Role: Project Engineer (Barnet)
Salary: £50,000 +Benefits
A unique opportunity has arisen to work for a well-established highly reputable regional Civil Engineering company who undertake a diverse range of civil engineering projects on a nationwide basis. They specialise in EHV cable installations, fibre optic installations, utility diversionary schemes, roads, and sewers.
To oversee day-to-day operations on specifically assigned projects and /or work streams associated with Framework Contracts providing civil and cable installation/recovery services to the Electricity Supply Industry and key clients; National Grid and Distribution Network Operators (DNO's) predominately up to 132kV, but also 275 and 400kV. To manage and ensure the efficient and economic use of resources, materials, transport, plant, and equipment to its best potential.
Responsible for all technical issues management of an individual project or multiple Contracts (number assigned will be subject to value, duration & complexity) and effective deployment of resources to ensure works are delivered incident free, in compliance with company policy and procedures, client specifications and standards, to programme and within budget. Continuous development of client and supply chain partner relationships and where identified implementation of cost-effective innovations to the business. The role will require an active involvement in the tendering and estimation process and preparation of both tender and construction programmes requiring liaison with Estimators and Surveyors to provide operational and technical support in the compilation of bids and feasibility studies.
* Manage operational aspects of specific projects and activities ensuring that they are on time, within planned costs, to the specifications and drawings and profitable to the agreed standard.
* Effectively manage customer & client relationships, playing an integral part in the preparation and presentation to the customer of the company's technical and commercial benefits.
* Work closely with the Estimating team to contribute to the preparation of accurate project estimates and bid documentation, assisting in all relevant aspects of the company's tender & post tender negotiations leading to the successful award of contracts for which bids have been made.
* Attendance at pre and post tender meetings and providing feedback to Estimating Department
* Attendance at company and external Contract Handover, Progress Review and Operational meetings
* Promotion and implementation of SHEQ policies and procedures
* Participation in delivery of "Site Safety Briefings, memos, alerts and "Toolbox Talks"
* Completion of "Tender Stage" Rams and Method Statements
* Ensure that all Health, Safety, Quality & Environmental requirements pertaining to the project are in place and monitored.
* Encourage the reporting of "Near Misses"
* Regular site audits and progress review meetings with the designated Site Managers
* Identifying opportunities for introduction of new innovations and industry products
* Work with the Commercial team on all contract related issues e.g. variations, interim progress applications for payment on account for the project works, negotiation and agreement of the project final account, subcontractor accounts.
* Monitor and ensure that the work of direct and sub-contract resource is being carried out to specification and program, ensuring that defects are remedied and managed within the scope of the contract terms.
* Assist with project teams in the achievement of relevant targets and business goals, maximising contract profitability.
* Production of reports, presentations and drawings/designs as required
* Any other appropriate duties as might require on a contract/ project basis or required by senior management to meet the requirements of the business.
* Participation in recruitment initiatives in-conjunction with the Operations Director
* Operational and technical support to Project Managers, Site Managers, Foremen, and operatives
* Weekly progress reports to assist in commercial management and financial reporting
* Ensure that a safety audit is carried out on your teams at least once a month
* Ensure all accidents, incidents and damages are investigated in conjunction with SHEQ advisor and establish lessons learnt along with introducing preventative measures to prevent re-occurrence
* HNC / ONC in Power Engineering or equivalent (this qualification is not a necessity. However, it would be required for all new applicants applying for this position)
* City & Guilds Parts 1 & 2 in Electrical Installation Works or equivalent (this qualification is not a necessity. However, it would be required for all new applicants applying for this position)
* CITB or equivalent in site safety management
* CSCS Card for appropriate level of responsibility / competency
* Minimum 2 years' experience in Project Engineer/Management position
* Minimum 7 years' experience in Electricity Supply Industry and construction of HV and EHV power cable systems up to 400kV and associated civil engineering works
* Competent in use of MS Word, Excel, Project, and Office Outlook