Role: Managing Estimator / Estimating Manager
Location: West Yorkshire
We have a fantastic opportunity to join a leading structural steel outfit that is looking an experienced professional to lead estimating team, due to increased work flow and success.
This role is key to converting sales opportunities into project revenue. The involves managing the process of accurately estimating the costs of projects to ensure they are competitive but also within agreed margins. Reporting to the Commercial Director, the Estimation Manager will also be responsible for leading, managing and developing the Estimation team, ensuring key department KPI's are met.
The Estimation Manager will not only lead on the estimation of key projects but will oversee and support the Estimation team in achieving their targets.
Key tasks include:
- Recruit and develop a high performing Estimation Team.
- Fully participate in the management of all incoming enquiries.
- Liaise with Procurement.
- Liaise and negotiate with sub trades to receive competitive prices.
- Personally execute/convert and support Estimation team in achieving their individual targets.
- Liaise with clients' engineers, architects, other designers, and internal divisions/departments.
- Produce accurate reports on the status of enquiries and pipeline for the Leadership Team on a weekly basis.
- Attend pre-tender interviews and post tender presentations
- Develop client and consultant relationships.
Regular review of the performance of the Estimation team providing feedback to improve performance.
- BSc/HNC in Building Studies or similar
- Chartership to MCIOB or RICS would be advantageous not a necessity
- Building construction knowledge.
- Good level of structural and civil engineering knowledge.
- Steelwork design experience.
- Accurate interpretation of drawings and technical specifications.
- Can demonstrate pricing of projects from 50 - 3,000 tonnes.
- Be able to price a job on demand (using experience).
- Plan, control and report on enquiries.
- Previous experience of dealing with contractors, engineers, architects and who they are.
- Commercial awareness of economic construction techniques.
- Experience of operating to an ISO 9001 quality system.
- Experience of 3D computer analysis systems.
- Understanding of costing processes.
- Previous experience of operating in a similar company/environment/across similar projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under own initiative.
- High degree of self-motivation and a commitment to quality.
- The ability to communicate confidently with external and internal teams
- The ability to present plans clearly and accurately
- Experience of value engineering and finding practical solutions to overcome barriers
- Literate in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Line Management experience
Hours of Work
- 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday, with Flexi time.
Great package, including car or car allowance, healthcare and profit related bonus scheme
- Eligible to join the Profit related bonus scheme.
- 33 holidays per year including bank holidays. 13 of these holiday dates are fixed i.e. Bank Holidays and Christmas shut down.
- Contributory Pension Scheme - Employee contribution 2.5%, Company contribution 5%.
- Various employee discounts available through a Benefits Portal
Structural steel, high rise, steelwork, estimator, estimating, managing, steel, structures, portal frame, commercial, Tekla, production, materials, tender, sales, Manager, business development, Senior management, technical manager