A unique and exciting opportunity has arisen to work for a market leading steel work subcontractor who deals in the design fabrication and installation of architectural and structural steel. Due to substantial growth and a strong pipeline of work, they are looking to expand their drawing office and add a Design Manager to their design team. The main purpose of this role is to manage and coordinate all design works and ensure the smooth running of the department.
- To provide managerial leadership to the design team and contracts team in order to optimise the effectiveness of each individual contract to be delivered successfully on time, within budget and to maximise profit.
- You will be responsible for; Detailers, Senior Detailers, Document Controllers, Design Assistants
- Manage the Design office and a team of detailers on various projects. internal and external
- Manage, mentor, and coach the colleagues in the design department
- Undertake regular performance reviews for the team and agree development plans
- Actively promote team development and inspire the team to ensure the team stay engaged.
- Be accountable for dealing with clients and other departments within the business for design purposes.
- Represent Paddington at (weekly) site design meetings with Clients - provide input and challenge; propose buildable solutions; and follow through the actions escalating issues where required
Design Management & Coordination
- Develop Internal design programs - coordinate with the appointed engineering consultants on sequences, preferences and cost economics.
- Coordinate the conversion of the Rivet model provided by the consultants into a detailed Tekla model for the project
- Coordinate the submission of the model to 4P for comments and status from the engineer, architect and Client
- Coordinate all aspects of production of fabrication drawings ready for the factory to build the components - that includes sequence, time frames and quality
- Ensure consistency of approach by all design technicians
- Share and promote lessons learnt
- Ensure Company document control and project work flow systems are being adhered to.
- Provide technical support where needed to various parts of the business including estimating team and production teams.
- Be part of a value engineering team at tender stage contracts
- Keep track and raise any design commercial implications and program impacts to the contract management team via RFIs or design trackers
- QA check approval drawings prior to submittal.
Requirements for the role:
- A degree in Design or Architecture
- A Tekla Qualification
- Microsoft office skills
- Steel fabrication design experience
- Strong client liaison experience including holding high-level design meetings
- Strong leadership and management skills; mentoring, developing team, performance management
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal, including with both clients and suppliers
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Organised, adaptable and able to work quickly
- Ability to build and maintain relationships across departments and with senior stakeholders both internally and externally
AutoCad, Tekla,n Design manager, design coordination, StruCAD, construction, engineering, architectural, steel, metalwork, structural